We want you to enjoy your stay in Lavallette. Your safety, while riding a bicycle, is important to us. Please adhere to the following bicycle laws which are intended to minimize your risk and maximize your enjoyment.
- Riders on highways must obey NJ State Laws and local ordinances
- Bicyclists must observe one way highways. Ride on the right side of road-with traffic. DO NOT ride against the traffic flow.
- Bicyclists must observe all traffic signals and signs.
- All children under 17 must wear helmets while riding bicycles.
- During the bathing season, bicycles are allowed on the boardwalk only during the hours of 5 am to 10 am.
- Bicycle riding on sidewalks in the business area is prohibited except for school children on their way to school.
- At night, you must have a white light in front and a red light in back, both visible for at least 500 feet.
- Bicyclists must ride single file only.
- Only one person may ride on a bicycle, unless it is designated otherwise.
- Remember to lock your bike when you leave it, even if you’re leaving it for only half a minute.
Your observance of these laws and guidelines will enable you to have a safe and pleasurable stay with us. All bicycle laws shall be strictly enforced. If at all possible, use the bike route on Bay Boulevard.
New Jersey law stipulates: "anyone under 17 years of age that rides a bicycle or is a passenger on a bicycle...must wear a safety helmet." and "a bicyclist must obey all state and local automobile driving laws. A parent may be held responsible for the child's violation of any traffic law." and " Initial violators of the helmet law will receive warnings. For minors, the parent or legal guardian may be fined a maximum of $25 for the 1st offense and a maximum of $100 for subsequent offense(s), if lack of parental supervision contributed to the offense."
When ridden on any roadway a bicycle rider has all of the rights and responsibilities of any vehicle. Unless bicycles are specifically excepted, all traffic laws and rules apply to bicycles. Bicyclists who violate traffic laws are subject to a citation.
New Jersey Division of Highway Traffic Safety
Bicycles on the Boardwalk
During the bathing season, bicycles are allowed on
the boardwalk only during the hours of 5am to 10am.
Outside of the bathing season there is no restriction on bicycles on the boardwalk.